Broadstone HallPrimary School

What is SEN?

You probably hear this term batted around, but what does SEN mean?
We can help explain...
Your child may have special educational needs (SEN) if they find learning more challenging than others and need extra support to achieve their full potential.
For example, they may have difficulty with their:
***Behaviour or ability to socialise
***Reading and writing
***Ability to understand things
***Concentration levels
***Physical ability
These difficulties can be barriers to learning. Our school will assess all children to identify their strengths and needs and how we can best support them.
Children who need extra help with their learning may receive additional support under one of the following categories:
***Special educational needs (SEN) support
***An education, health and care (EHC) plan
What is SEN support?
SEN support describes the additional help that assists children to access the curriculum.
This might include:
***Extra help in the classroom
***Small group or one-to-one learning
***Support from specialists such as speech and language therapists
***Add any additional examples that your school offers
Schools must work with parents when agreeing what support to provide and what it will achieve.
What are EHC plans?
If your child has more complex needs, they may need a more intensive level of specialist help than SEN support caters for.
In these cases, your child might be assessed for an EHC plan.
An EHC plan is a legal document that sets out the support that education, health and care providers must provide.
How will the school decide what type of support my child receives?
Every child’s needs are different, and may change over time.
Therefore, the school will assess each child’s needs closely to identify which support is right for them.
The school will also regularly review the support your child receives to see what is working and what isn’t, and incorporate your views on this too.
How do I know if my child needs SEN support?
If your child is not making expected progress for their year group, they may need SEN support.
The school will discuss your child’s needs with you before placing your child on SEN support.
What if I think my child needs further support?
Please speak to Nicola Clifford SENDCo, who may recommend carrying out an EHC needs assessment.
Where can I find out more information?
Go to the school website
Our school’s SEN policy and information report set out more detailed information about the support available for children with SEN and disabilities.
You can access this information on our website.
Contact us
If you have any questions about the support your child is receiving, or about SEN more generally, please speak to your child’s class teacher or Nicola Clifford our school’s special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO).
External links
See the government’s overview of support for children with SEND.
IPSEA is a charity that helps parents and professionals to support children with SEN and disabilities:

Files to Download

Get In Touch
Broadstone Hall Primary School Broadstone Hall Road,
Heaton Chapel, SK4 5JD